Life is a challenge. Sometimes the challenge of life throws some people off balance and finally to a state of defeat. But there are some people who despite the challenges of life, they never accept defeat. People like this have learnt how to maintain a positive attitude in a negative situation.
“It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.”
Recently, something happened to my very close friend and brother that taught me a few lessons on how to maintain a positive attitude in a negative situation. My friend lost something very important, useful and valuable to him and his family. When he called to inform me that very afternoon, I felt so bad. But to my surprise, my friend never gave me an opportunity to sympathize with him. He was fully in charge of our discussion – speaking with enthusiasm, optimism and confidence in the Lord. In fact, he started encouraging me not to feel bad about the situation. He maintained a positive attitude.
The Bible says in Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Here are few things I learnt from the attitude of my friend in the light of Romans 8:28…and I believe they can help you as well in some ways to maintain positive attitude when you face a negative situation.
1. Always Display Knowledge not Emotion. Hun! I know that sounds unrealistic. Yes it is good to show some level of emotion when you face negative situations, but the best thing to display is knowledge. Paul, the apostle said, “And we know that.” Displaying emotions may attract pity, but displaying knowledge when faced with negative situation shows you have not been defeated.
2. See the Good in the Bad. There’s always a tendency for us to always focus on the bad of negative situations of our life. Defeated people always do that. But if you want to have positive attitude that can make you stand strong, you need to see beyond the “bad” of every negative situation and learn to see the “good.” How? “All things – whether negative or positive work together for good.”
3. Always Delight Yourself in God. Those who maintain positive attitude in a negative situation are those who love God – not even those that God loves. “It is to them that love God.” They are those who have confidence in their relationship with God that He’s good no matter the bad they are experiencing. So they don’t allow negative circumstance to affect their love for God. And because they delight in God, they cannot be defeated.
4. Always be Confident in God’s Plan for Your Life. Nothing moves those who have answered the call of God on their lives, who have discovered His purpose and they are living in it. Let the wind blow, and the storm threatens, they cannot be defeated. They have confidence that “All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
I hope my friend will read this article that he may know his positive attitude in a negative situation taught me a lifetime lesson. Above all, I hope his attitude has taught you a lesson as well that in a negative situation…
1. Always Display Knowledge not Emotion
2. Always See the Good in the Bad
3. Always Delight Yourself in God
4. Always be Confident in God’s Plan for Your Life